Friday, August 8, 2008

We're Now Official Israelis!

Did we get our Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID Cards?) No - we got those almost two weeks ago - again, kudos to Nefesh b'Nefesh. Did I get my Isreali driver's license? Again no, but I'm working on it. So what makes us so Israeli?
We got our cellphones! That's right, we're now instantly accessible, at all times.
Moreover, we're now chareidi. Or at least our cellphones are. Why did we get such frum phones? Because they're much, much cheaper. Much. (Someone recently told me that it was always a big joke that Tommy Lapid's wife also had a kosher cell phone. That story needs to be checked out.)
A regular phone can cost as much as 30-40 shekel per month, whereas the approved phone is 5 shekel a month - for two phones. And the rates are incredibly cheaper - much cheaper than normal as well. Why? I have no idea, but that's the way it is. The only thing that we can't do that I want to have is text messaging. They're not approved on kosher cell phones. Why? Not sure, but that's the way it is. In any case, I have a bad habit of not always listening to voicemail. It's a pain. So Rena got into the habit of sending me a quick text message if I wouldn't answer. Well, no more text messages. They're not kosher.
But it sure will save us money.
Oh yes - what's our numbers, you ask? Just check on the side -- they're both there!

No comments: